Most people probably grind and clench their teeth from time to time, but when teeth grinding occurs on a regular basis it can damage teeth and cause other oral health complications. Because grinding often occurs during sleep, most people are unaware that they grind their teeth.
The signs and symptoms of bruxism may include:
- Teeth grinding or clenching, which may be loud enough to wake your partner
- Teeth that are worn down, flattened, chipped or loose
- Worn tooth enamel, exposing deeper layers of the tooth
- Increased tooth pain and sensitivity
- Tired or tight Jaw muscles or a locked jaw that won`t open or close completely
- Jaw, neck or face pain or soreness
- Pain that feels like an earache, though it`s actually not a problem with your ear
- Dull headache starting in the temples
- Damage from chewing on the inside of your cheeck
- Sleep disruption
In such a case, a custom night-guard can be a great solution.
During regular dental exams our dentists always check for signs of bruxism.
A night-guard is designed to keep teeth separated to avoid the damage caused by clenching and grinding. It is constructed of hard acrylic and fits over upper or lower teeth.
If you are looking for an experienced dentist in Toronto for grinding appliances, please give Yonge Dentistry a call at (416) 489-6955 to schedule a consultation with our dentist.
- Dental Services
- Grinding Appliances